Monday, August 11, 2014

What's being Planted in our Veggie Garden

Recently my little veggie boxes have been left empty and I know it's such a waste however I've had other things on my "to do list" but last Saturday we drove to our local nursery and bought some seedlings and Sienna helped plant them in the veggie garden with me.  Actually she did 90% of the work as she is doing "gardening club" at school where they get to plant out veggies and feed the chooks etc. and she told me that you had to built little mounds for the veggies so she did just that with our little 1.2m x 1.2m veggie box.

Sienna was still wearing her sandshoes (joggers/runners) from the 5km Charity Fun Run we did in the morning.  When I say "we" I mean James and Sienna ran the 5kms and I walked about 3kms with sandshoes that were too tight so it wast very uncomfortable.  Now back to gardening, Sienna and I had a lovely time together and she was planting and we were chatting, and I was taking photos.   She said "I love it when we do this together and I love spending time with you".

The boy of the house was inside on his iPod (his allowed 1 hr after he ran his 5km race in 25 mins which I was pretty impressed with) and Sienna said to me that she'd rather be outside than inside playing on the iPod to which I replied "oh well, that's his relaxation and that's alright" (and that's because he has limited time on it as ruled by me).  The girls of the house were outside and enjoying the fresh air and we were both so happy when the garden bed was planted out.

I can only dream of a veggie garden like this over at Ock Du Spock and how it all started here however for my little family these three little garden beds are fine.  Such lovely memories of our afternoon and this is really what makes me truly happy.  So what we planted was two types of lettuce (butterhead and something like an iceberg) lots of spring onions, celery, capsicum and thyme for our baked beans recipe.














5 comments:

  1. What a lovely afternoon spent together doing the gardening. It always feels great to grow some of your own things to eat. I must go to get some more seedlings for my garden to fill in a few bare spots. Have a great week Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Kathy! I just love that your big girl is loving gardening. How wonderful to have her helping out there and loving it. Wonderful memories you are creating every day! (Not to mention all the great food you are growing) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. After my little garden failing so spectacularly last year I never got round to trying again this year. Every time I see a post about your garden I'm reminded of what a great idea it is to try (at least in my case) to grow your own veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job Sienna! I like to relax outside too!

    ReplyDelete