CHICKEN & CORN NOODLE SOUP (serves 4)
- 1 x Onion, roughly chopped
- 2 x Medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 x Celery stalks roughly chopped
- 1 x Clove of garlic, crushed
- 1 x Tablespoon of oil
- 1.5 Litres of chicken stock
- 500 gms of chicken breast (scored in the thicker parts for even cooking) (See NOTE)
- 1 x 400 gms tin of corn kernels
- 80 gms rice noodles broken into pieces (I buy Pandaroo Brown Rice vermicelli from Woollies)
- 50 gms of baby spinach
- 1/4 cup of fresh basil, chopped/tear in pieces
- 40gms bean shoots (I just use a small tin of Riviana Been sprouts)
- 2 x Tablespoons of Tamari or soy sauce (optional)
- Blend onion carrots, celery and garlic to a rough paste in the food processor (or finely chop).
- Heat oil in non-stick saucepan over medium heat, add blended vegetables and cook for a few minutes.
- Add stock and simmer gently for 10 minutes to allow flavour to infuse.
- Add chicken fillets and return pot to a gentle simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stand covered for 10 minutes.
- Remove chicken, allow to cool slightly then shred using two forks.
- Add corn and noodles and return stock to boil for a few minutes or until noodles are cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add spinach, shredded chicken and basil to soup and stir through.
- Add a splash of Tamari or soy sauce if you like for extra flavour.
- Prep time approximately 10 minutes.
- Cook time approximately 40 minutes.
- You can swap cooking the chicken in stock if you buy a cooked chicken and just take the meat off and add it to the dish.
- This soup can be portioned out and frozen for another night.