Thursday, February 8, 2018

Jam Drops

I don't know anyone who doesn't love a good Jam Drop biscuit.  When I was 21 years old and flatting with a friend his mother used to make a batch of jam drops and send them down to Brisbane in a biscuit tin. She lived about 4 hrs from Brisbane in a little country town and as I was flatting with him I got to eat the yummy jam drops as well.  It was always a highlight when the mail came.

I made a batch of jam drops two weeks ago however they had brown sugar in them and they were quite sweet and they didn't hold their shape very well so I've gone back to my normal recipe and made some this morning for the freezer.



Here's the recipe that I've used.

JAM DROPS

½ cup Sugar
125 gm Butter
2  eggs
2 cups Self Raising Flour
1 teaspoon Vanilla
pinch of salt
Jam of your choice

Method:

1.   Turn oven to 160 degrees.

2.    Cream butter, sugar and vanilla in Thermomix on speed 5 for 20-30 seconds and scrape down the bowl.  If using your normal kitchen mix master just cream butter, sugar and vanilla.

3.    Add eggs and process for 20 seconds on speed 4. (mix until eggs combined).

4.      Gradually add sifted flour and salt and process for 30-40 seconds on speed 3 until a stiff dough forms. (mix until dough forms).

5.      Roll into balls, place on greased oven tray.

6.      Push thumb into center to make a small indent and fill with your chosen variety of Jam

7.   Bake in moderate oven for about 12-15 minutes until just brown.

5 comments:

  1. Yum...so many childhood memories attached to jam drops x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favourite jam drops are those with apricot jam in the middle. Mmm! They were one of the first biscuits I learned how to cook and I make them still. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love strawberry or raspberry jam the best.

      Delete
  3. i remember making these when i was kid.
    your post just reminded me of that.
    :)
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete