I've previously written about a fantastic Banana Cake Recipe here which is sweet and delicious but has lots of sugar and is a cake vs bread recipe. We usually make this cake to take camping and it always goes down really well and is a 10/10 recipe.
Lately for school lunches I have been making this healthy Banana Bread recipe which has been great for using up those bananas that are at the bottom of the crisper. I make this, then cut it into slices and freeze them in individual zip lock bags and then into the freezer. On school mornings I can grab the packets out and pop them straight into the school lunch boxes. The kids don't like butter with their Banana Bread however I love spreading some real butter on my slice with a coffee for morning tea. I forgot to take a photo this afternoon before I cut it up and put it in the freezer so I'll settle for a coffee picture. If you use the link below to the original recipe you can see a picture of the cooked Banana Bread.
HEALTHY BANANA BREAD RECIPE (posted on Cookie + Kate)
I like to type out the recipes on my blog because I've found over the years when blogs shut down I lose the recipe, so I have the link and also post it here for myself.
1/2 cup of melted coconut oil or extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup of honey or maple syrup
1 cup of mashed ripe bananas (approx 2 large bananas)
1/4 cup of milk
1 teaspoon of baking soda (NOT baking powder, they aren't the same ie bi-carb soda)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon sale
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 and 3/4 cups white whole wheat flour
Optional - 1/2 cup of mix-ins like chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 165c or 325F.
2. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan.
3. In a large bowl, beat the oil and honey together with a whisk.
4. Add the eggs and beat well.
5. Mash the bananas and add to the bowl.
6. Add milk and whisk.
7. Add baking soda, vanilla, salt and cinnamon and whisk to blend.
8. Stir in flour until just combined. Some lumps are okay.
9. Pour batter into greased loaf pan and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
10. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
11. Let the banana bread cool in the loaf pan for 10 minutes.
12. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
I can highly recommend this recipe and I have been making it as my go to recipe to use up the old bananas.