Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Around here - Film Scans

Last year I bought a 2nd hand Canon AE1 film camera, the same film camera I first bought when I was 17 years old and learnt all about photography.  Having shot with a Digital SLR camera the past 18 years and going back to not seeing what the image looks like a second after you take it takes a bit of getting used to.  You can't adjust your ISO once you put your film in vs Digital Camera you can just dial up any ISO.  The camera has a manual focus system whereas the Digital SLR has an automatic focus system however I mostly used manual focus anyway but both cameras are very different.

You have to source the film and in this case I used Kodak Portra 300, take your 36 images then get the film processed which all costs $$.  Film is making a come back with some photographers and they are actually shooting family sessions with film.  I will stick with my Digital SLR camera but having a little personal project is something I want to have fun with.

This is the 2nd roll of film I have put through the camera and I decided half way through this roll not to go full manual on the lens.  The images aren't amazing and the grain is from the film which everyone these days are trying to emulate in post processing of their digital images nowadays.  I want to take one roll of film a month however I need to match this with a day out and not just take images at home as there's only so much I can take photos of here.  I think the next roll will be better as I will do things a little differently. 

Elise who I have been following for about 13 years has a whole lot of blog posts about her "Film Project" shooting one roll a month.  She had a little break and they moved a year ago into their forever home and has picked up the film camera again photographing her summer veggie garden and flower patch.

Here's a couple of images from good old fashioned film camera.  They are not fabulous however I think the next roll I'll be able to produce better shots.  The ones of the home grown tomatoes in the bowl I think are pretty good for film and now I'll do things a bit different so stay tuned.




















2 comments:

  1. Gosh, I bet it was quite a challenge changing over. We're so used to seeing the image once it's taken so we can adjust if needed and/or re-shoot. A great idea though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does take getting used to....quite a shock!

      Delete