Saturday, April 5, 2014

Slow Living Essentials March, 2014

Linking up with Christine at Slow Living Essentials to do a recap of our slow living.  It does seem anything but slow but thoroughly enjoyable at the same time.

{NOURISH & PREPARE}
I have made some new to me recipes lately including Swedish Meatballs and Apple & Cinnamon Cake.




{REDUCE}
I have finally gone through the kids clothing drawers and sorted out clothes that no longer fit them.  Some shorts in James drawers were size 6 and he is 10 now.  In my defense he's not a huge child so can still fit size 8 shorts however size 6 definitely had to go into the bag for charity.  I have two large bags at my front door which I will take to the Red Cross store on Monday.

{GREEN}
I continue to sweep the floors with the broom only bringing the vaccum out once in a while.  I hardly use the dryer still as we have a clothesline that's indoors/outdoors because it's under our back entertainment area.

{GROW}
We loved growing our little corn crop for the very first time and our cucumbers grew very well this season.  Lots of schallots, tomatoes and coriander.  







{CREATE}
After more than 10 years away from the sewing machine I made a Rag Quilt for Sienna's 8th birthday which I wrote about here and James loved it so much I made him one as well which you can read about here.





I also made Sienna a little Sausage Doggie which I wrote about here.  Both the Rag Quilts and the Sausage Doggie gave me a great deal of joy and satisfaction in both making them and seeing how delighted the kids were with them.



{DISCOVER}
Reading about a family who moved from a big house into a tiny cottage they built as a family of 5 when times got tough.  They discovered it has been one of the best things that happened to their family.  The blog is called The Assortment.

{ENHANCE}
We attending the fairly newly formed local Residents Association Meeting to discuss opportunities for our suburb like Farmers Markets etc. which was attended by over 100 people.   I also attended James Grade 5 School Excursion to St Helena Island as one of the parent helpers and photographer for the day which you can read about below. 

{ENJOY}
We celebrated Sienna's 8th Birthday with family gathering and home made pizza's.  We attended the School Bush Dance and the sneak preview of the Lego Movie which was a school fund raiser.

I went along a Class Excursion with James to St Helena Island which is a place I have always wanted to visit.  We caught a bus from school to Hamilton, then on the Lady of Brisbane Boat to the Island and back again.








9 comments:

  1. I love your rag quilts they are wonderful!

    Your sweet corn looks amazing too, I bet it tastes go rogues too picked and eaten straight away :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rag quilts are gorgeous!Would love to know the recipe to the swedish meatballs.Looks like a lovely month at your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim if you click on the Swedish Meatballs link (above the photo of the cake) it takes you to my link where I posted the recipe instructions. They are so yummy. Thanks for stopping by. Regards Kathy A, Brisbane

      Delete
  3. Those quilts are a great idea!! I've made a couple of similar ones but using squares instead of stripes. I think I prefer the look of stripes though and may borrow your idea for a quick quilt for the granddaughter.
    Beautiful photos of the island, really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way that your children are a part of so many of the photos and involved and enthusiastic. Their quilts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the photos of the kids involved with your fresh garden produce. I will have a look at the links for the quilts and dog. I hope there are instructions. I'd like to make both. As for the drawer clean-out, my eight year old still wears a pair of size four shorts because he insists they are his favourite!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful pictures. Your veggies look delicious and your sewing is amazing!!
    Swedish meet balls are a firm favorite here too, and we always have ours with spinach pasta.
    Have a great april.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos! I am envious of that luscious looking cucumber! Like the quilts as well, I have thought of trying on but never got around to it - may have to think again! Thanks for sharing - have a great month!

    ReplyDelete