Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Around here

Around here it's back to school week with one starting today in Grade 10 and the other staring in Grade 8 tomorrow.  I remember the first day of school last year and couldn't believe my youngest was starting High School and my oldest was going into his 3rd year of High School.

On the tidying up front, I spent a morning sorting out our linen cupboard and was so happy with the end result.  These things seem to get forgotten and one year they are tidy and the next they are a mess.  So happy with the result of my mornings effort.  How are you going with your Marie Kondo method of decluttering your house.  It's an ongoing process and I tackle it in waves of what feels more urgent than something else.

The veggie garden is going well and I have been watering it every morning and making it part of my morning routine with coffee in hand.  Some days I water in the afternoon as well with this Brisbane heat.  Next will be weeding the 2nd veggie bed so we can put the new veggie box on top.  As it's in the sun the best time to do this is after 4 pm in the afternoon as it's in the shade and cooler then.

I just found out today that Paul West of River Cottage Australia fame has a new show on the ABC starting tonight on Catalyst about families learning to have bee hives. Some in the city and some in the country I'm going to love this.

One of my goals his year is to really focus on learning how to make Sourdough Bread.  I've had a couple of goes at it but not that successful.  I follow Celia from Fig Tree & Lime Cordial blog as she has all the Sourdough tips and tricks including photos and some videos.  I have some of her dried starter which is called Priscilla which is 10 years old and I am bringing it back to life.  Just take a look at her recipe list under "Bread" and you'll see what I mean.  I am finally getting to read this book which Celia recommended.  In fact, Celia had sent Emilie some dried "Priscilla" starter and that's how Emilie got into Sourdough Bread reading Celia's blog and got so good at it she wrote a book to share her knowledge.  The book is designed for the home baker so basically you and I.  The book has great instructions, pictures and lots of different recipes sweet and savory.  I can highly recommend it.

Currently I am bringing "Priscilla" back to life and then we will rename our starter.  It took us long enough to agree on a name for our new budgie so not sure how we will go with a name for our starter.  Still, I really want to persist with making Sourdough Bread this year and love it as much as a store bought one that you pay $6 for [Aldi has them for $3.50] but an Artisan loaf I'm talking about will set you back $6-$8.  I have my enamel bake roasting pan that Celia suggests and I have a Banneton proving dish  [you don't rally need this however I bought it a little while ago as a treat] so I'm ready to go.  This is Celia's instructions on making Sourdough.

So here's some pics of what's been happening with us.

Sienna and her homemade scones she baked for morning tea.

Sienna sewed a new pencil case for school which had sausage dogs on it.

We love this burrito bowl for dinner.

Bringing the sourdough starter called "Priscilla"back to life from Celia from Fig Jam & Lime Cordial.

Evening sunset in our backyard.

Keeping this beautiful plant watered and it is thriving.

Our lettuces are starting to grow.

Breakfast smoothie bowl.


9 comments:

  1. Oh I so love that you posted a photo your linen cupboard. I love, love, love a good before and after shot! It’s looks so great, and it’s a given that it will be so much easier to find things. Well done 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the sour dough starter, I've tried twice and killed it both time so I gave up. Sienna did a great job on her pencil case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I haven't killed my starter...last night it looked great but thought I would feed it one more time and this morning it looks like it's gone backwards...such a novice....

      Delete
  3. Good luck with trying out sourdough making, homemade loaves are awesome. I had been making Celia's method for a few years and it wasn't always successful. I attended a workshop by Chris at Gully Grove blog (she has a tutorial on the site)it works well ....it's good to try a few methods and see what works for you.
    The secret is to get the 'sponge' to a point where a teaspoon of it will float in cold water, then you can add the bulk of the flour. I'm currently using a prove in the fridge overnight method and find it works perfectly. Have fun !

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a very lovely photo of Sienna and The Scones! And her pencil case looks expertly sewn. You have given your young ones such great skills and a splendid start on life, Kathy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa Sienna is right into crafts. She has found you tube videos of pencil cases and made her own. She made a double zip one last year that gets turned inside out however this year she wanted a new pencil case for a new year so made a single zip one. Yesterday we both sat in the lounge and started to crochet a beanie each...it was so nice as she had been away at music camp for 4 days prior.

      Delete
  5. My linen cupboard is crying out for a clean-out! Yours looks so organised and no doubt things are easy to find. This Brisbane heat has made gardening very challenging, I've given up in my patch for the time being (until Autumnal weather arrives) as I just can't get to water it regularly enough now I'm back working again. Sienna's scones look amazing...can't beat scones with jam and cream! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it had been 4 years since I did the huge clean out of the linen cupboard...I only know because I checked my blog..OMG time files. As for the veggie garden I think that's why Queensland Gardeners finish in December and start planting in March again...it makes so much sense.

      Delete