Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Around Here

Around here we have been enjoying the school holidays, lazy days where you don't get out of your pj's until lunch time, watching movies and hanging out at home.  We also went on a BBQ and bush walk in the Rainforest which was lovely on a hot day as it was cooler up the mountain.

I'm still going strong on my decluttering the house bit by bit and yesterday tackled the linen cupboard.  It was overflowing and disorganized so I got stuck into that and it looks and feels amazing.  It is so true that when you look at an organized space you feel calm and when you look at a disorganized space you feel stress.

We also go into the garden to replace our broken veggie boxes with new colourbond ones from Bunnings.  The wooden boxes have been in the garden for 7.5 years and have fallen apart so it was time to upgrade and get this sorted.  I bought the "Birdies" brand and the one I got is called "6 in 1" for $89.  It wasn't listed on their website however it was in the store.  It is extremely well packaged and comes in a relatively small compact box compared to some of the others.  You can make 6 different shapes with this so it's very versatile.  My original wooden boxes which I also got from Bunnings were 1200 x 1200 and they still sell these. 

The new boxes are 1200 x 900 so I had to do a bit of maneuvering with the dirt on one side so I could place it back on top of the original spot. I need to weed and get rid of the 2nd wooden box now.  Sienna did a great job putting these together which comes with all the screws, nuts and a little spanner to tighten them up.  I'm  determined to get my veggies growing this year as it's such a feel good thing and the food is amazing straight from the garden so I'm very excited about sorting this out.  Here's lots of photos of what's been happening around here.


New veggie garden box planted with oregano, butterhead lettuce, spring onions and iceberg lettuce.

Fish Tacos on the BBQ.

Under my kitchen sink aka Marie Kondo style.

Making Gingerbread men for morning tea using this recipe.

Sunday morning we rode our bikes to the local cafe for our end of school holiday breakfast.

My breakfast.

James had the big breaky.

Sienna had the hotcakes.

Amazing food and enjoyed listening to the birds while we ate breakfast.

Breakfast with my kids...how could he be 15 already.

We love using BBQ's that use wood.

I love light and shadow pics.

The kids in the middle of the Rain Forest.

Fallen logs.

Finished the bush walk which took about 50 minutes.

8 comments:

  1. Oh I love what you are doing in the garden!
    I can’t wait to read heaps of posts on what you are doing with all that lovely produce!

    How good does the kitchen cupboard look!
    I swore I wasn’t going to fold clothes like Marie Condo, it looks lovely but I couldn’t see myself maintaining it...but guess who did her socks and undies draw this afternoon...just as a trial...well when I had finished I LOVED IT!!! Everything is so easy to see and find!

    Groan! Have I created a monster 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it's a bit addictive the Marie Kondo thing isn't it. I tried to convince my son to fold the washing like this and he wasn't that thrilled..he said it took way longer so I said he only had to do the tea towels like that. He folds all our washing and has done for a couple of years. Teaching them to be confident adults for when they leave home.

      Delete
  2. Well done starting on the Kondo organizing it does make a huge difference when you are finished.
    I have been doing that sort of folding for years....I Nannied for a family that had 4 kids in 5 years , so clothes had to be well organised and the house had 5 different size beds, plus cot, utter chaos in the linen cupboard.
    Such a different calm vibe to everything once you get it all sorted and culled.
    Hang in there it will be awesome when you are finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you were a great Nanny to that family....being organized definitely feels calmer.

      Delete
  3. I just put in new raised beds as well - you got a good deal on those ones. It was quite a bit of maneuvering to get the one over a pile of dirt that I had collected. It looks like the right size, but then you have to get the edges, in and level etc! Oh gosh, nobody is ever going to see a photo of under my kitchen sink lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about getting the veggie box level I grabbed my level thingy so I could get it right...took ages to dig out on one side however it was worth it in the end. Don't worry about underneath the kitchen sink...most people's sink is like that however spending half and hour getting it organized will make you feel good.

      Delete
  4. Your under the sink drawer looks wonderful! And how nice to see your two blooming :). I've not seen those veg containers so off to google!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexa...in Australia the material for the veggie gardens is called colourbond.

      Delete