Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Around here - Simple Living blogs & Podcasts

I can't believe it is still so hot at this time of the year and I'm looking forward to the Autumn weather.  I thought I would share with you some recent podcasts that I have been listening to.  I'm haven't really been into podcasts however lately I have found some that have caught my interest.

Living Homegrown is about Homesteading without the farm.  Her motto is "Live Farm Fresh Without the Farm" which I love.  So many people think of simple living and moving to the country.  She actually lives in the middle of LA however her Mum has a property a couple of hours away and they have the farm next to her Mum.  Most of the time they are in LA and they have a caretaker for the farm until they move there when her sons go off to college.  I have listened to quite a few of her podcasts and loved them.



She did an interview with Alana Chernila.  The name rang a bell with me as I had purchased her first book The Homemade Pantry back in 2013.  I also gave one to my girlfriend when she moved to their 6.5 acre property.  When I got this book my friend and I used to have a day baking in the country even though she only lives 10 minutes from my house.  Things are busier now so we don't get to do it anymore however we both loved our day together.  We would pick a couple of recipes out and make them.  Alana has since written two other books as well, The Homemade Kitchen and Eating from the Ground Up.





I enjoyed listening to Homemade cheese in one hour.

I have also found another one called "This is Homesteady" I don't think there has been a new podcast in one year however there is a list of interesting interviews.  This is the podcast link.  I listened to Episode 4 about a girl and her husband who after trying to babies for years were unable to have them and wanted to get a property in the country and it came with 2 Alpacas and now they make and dye wool and have renovated the farmhouse and have a Flower Market Garden.  When they bought the house the owner handed over a folder full of photos and historical facts about the property and they have honored the original owners of the land calling the Flower Market Garden after the family.  I loved hearing this story.  They are at Old Homestead Alpacas.

I have loved listening to anything to do with growing veggies, canning, wool, natural remedies etc. even if I don't do half of those things I love hearing stories about these topics.

A couple of other blogs I have come across that I have enjoyed reading:-



Garden Therapy

I have loved looking through this Australian IG account....the images are so quintessentially outback Australia.  What an amazing childhood those kids are having. Dirt, mess, old tricycles.  Loved ever image in her feed. 

I purchased this book written by Lauren and her husband from Tasmania.  They have a blog called Owlet.  Here is their "about page".  The book is beautifully illustrated and I can't wait to read through it all.


I hope that will encourage you to have a listen to some of these podcasts while you do the housework or cook or even in the garden.


6 comments:

  1. Oh I love listening to podcasts Kathy, thanks for sharing these, I don’t know where to start!


    I only just heard about that book waste free living recently, I entered a competition to win a copy, because I thought it sounded so good.

    Aren’t we lucky to have access to all this fabulous information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you Cheryl....the internet is amazing in a good way.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I want to follow every one of these links! thank you for sharing all this great info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's exciting when you find something new that is in line with your interests and passions. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a fan of podcasts, but I am always looking for new blogs to read so thank you for posting the links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been much into podcasts myself however listening to subjects that interest me has changed how I feel about them. The good thing is you an be doing something else while you are listening vs watching tv where you sit and watch.

      Delete