Saturday, March 23, 2019

Around here - Raising Seedlings

Around here I still can't believe we are still getting hot days of 35 and 36 degrees.  I'm so over the summer heat however at least we have had some good rainfall and the grass is green again and the veggies are thriving.  I bought myself some little seed growing pots from Bunnings and have planted some seeds out.  This is exciting for me because I normally buy seedlings for my veggie garden or I direct sow into the garden like corn, zucchini etc.  I used a little spray water bottle to water them each morning and I get a nice surprise to see what has sprouted over night.  I find it fascinating that some of the seeds are just sprouting one day and then the next day they can be 5cm tall overnight.  It's been fun for me growing these little seeds and looking after them each morning with a coffee in hand.

The seeds I'm growing are tomato, wombok, celery, butternut pumpkin, beans and for some flowers sweet peas and poppies.  The sweet peas have come up however no sign of the poppies yet.

Here's a few photos from my adventures in seed raising.  The box at the back in the middle has the flowers in it and I started my first seeds using egg cartons however once I bought the seed boxes from Bunnings it was better because they were in a hot house which allows the seeds to sprout so I bought two to start with and went back and bought another two more.  I just placed the lids over the egg cartons to see if I could get these ones to sprout and some have and some haven't.  The celery which sprouts in 14-21 days has got one seed starting to sprout so some more should sprout in the next week.











6 comments:

  1. They look like healthy, little seedlings Kathy, I hope they all grow and provide you with an abundance of home grown goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting times! You definitely have a green thumb, I still have trouble sprouting seeds, especially the small ones! I tend to mostly buy seedling, because I’m impatient too! LOL

    And yes I am totally over this heat as well, I’m sitting in the air con right now!!! It’s crazy, it doesn’t even feel like Autumn 😩

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used my air con just about everyday in summer until I got the bill last week so trying not to use it so I'm just sweltering...it's crazy. I never got into the seed growing as well and bought seedlings because you have to be 4-6 weeks ahead of time of what you want to grow - me too impatient however I'm very excited trying out the seeds and having the little grow boxes because they are a mini hot house makes a big difference to the seeds sprouting. The ones in the egg cartons without a lid took way longer to sprout than the 2 boxes.

      Delete
  3. Kathy, I also enjoy growing from seeds, it is much cheaper and more variety. I started my seedlings too early because we had this huge rain event with the cyclone. They were all getting very long and leggy so I planted out some seedlings over the weekend and then covered the whole bed with a big shadecloth. those little seedling starter bins look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeds are cheaper for sure...I've never been organized before however I'm enjoying growing them. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete