Monday, April 1, 2019

Around here - Seeds & Veggie Garden Update

I wrote a post a couple of weeks ago sharing my efforts with growing my veggies from seed for the first time and it's been great fun. My dwarf beans are now planted out in the veggie garden with the corn.  The butternut pumpkin is still in my seed trays as I'm not sure where to plant these.  I also grew some extra beans and pumpkin seeds and took the seedlings over to my friend's place for her garden.  It has proved to be good timing because we've had rain over the past week so everything is thriving.

My late corn is going well and the iceberg lettuce is finished so I've planted out my favourite butterhead lettuce now.  I've also planted 4 capsicums and a new rosemary bush and really enjoying getting into the garden now it's not so hot.

For the first time in many years I've actually planted some dwarf sweet peas.  Every year since we have been here [8 years] I buy the seeds and then never plant them so this year I finally did it.  I bought a little veggie box from Aldi to grow them in and after I grew the seedsthe I planted them in the little veggie box.  I can't wait to have some pretty flowers to put in a vase.  When we were kids I remember my Mother planting sweet peas every year against a big trellis and we had heaps of beautiful flowers.  Here's some photos of my garden.

These are the dwaft beans I grew from seed and ready to be planted in the garden.

I love watching the plant sprout from the bean seed...so much fun.

New rosemary plant now in the garden.

I planted the dwarf beans around the edge of the corn stalks and they have tripled in size in week.

The corn bed.

My one tomato bush is going well in the pot.


Corn is thriving and I saw 8 bees the other day at the top of the stalks so that was a good sign.

The two new colourbond veggie boxes are going well. The oregano in the left bed is going crazy.

View from the back of the yard.

Beans growing well.

This is the little Aldi veggie box I planted out my dwarf sweet peas in.


Everything is green from the recent rains we have had.

The lettuce has gone to seed and I have been giving it to my friend for her chickens.

Corn husks.

7 comments:

  1. Everything is looking so good Kathy 😍
    I planted sweet peas for the very first time this year! Something was on TV about traditionally planting them on St Patrick's Day, and it prompted me to go and buy a punnet. I've always admired Meg's sweet peas (A Hopeful Nature blog) set in little vases on the table, and have always wanted to grow them. I had the space, so I bought the big climbing variety, I can't wait to see them grow, and see what they smell like!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's correct always plant your sweet peas on St Patrick's Day...looks like we'll all have beautiful flowers to adorn our tables soon.

      Delete
  2. I am way up in tropical north queensland and have tried sweet peas multiple times. I think I better give up on them, but every time I hear of someone else planting them I think... just one one more try! I remember picking bunches of them as a child - just love their fragrance. Our wet season seems never ending, and I have planted out a few seedlings only to have them drown, but i keep planting more seedlings in my little greenhouse! this wet season has to end sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe purchase some larger seedlings and give them another go..don't give up.

      Delete
  3. Your garden is looking fantastic, Kathy. You'll have lots of homegrown food to enjoy soon. I might plant sweet peas too this year, although the traditional date is St. Patrick's Day, I always forget and plant more mature seedlings later. They have the most sublime perfume. Nothing much in my veg patch, work and heat kept me away but now on hols so just out in veg patch this morning, clearing it out ready for compost which I will spread later today. Such great weather now for gardening. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those vegetable beds are looking very lush indeed ... We have such cool summers that we'd never get corn to grow here alas. But I am thinking of growing greens/salad stuff this year. Need to get organised!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things like lettuce and greens are easy to grow and butterhead lettuce you can just pick the outside leaves off and the plant still grows.

      Delete