Saturday, February 8, 2020

Around here - Veggie Garden

This week has been much cooler and the rain has been lovely.  The other day I emptied a huge bucket in the backyard which was filled with water and was at least 60-70mm.  The yard is very soggy however it made the weeds in my veggie garden really easy to pull out so that was a bonus.

I weeded my 3 veggie garden beds and planted, butterhead lettuce, iceberg lettuce, capsicum, tomatoes, cucumber, coriander and basil.  It's great living in the sub-tropics as we can grow lots of things here that you can't in the colder climates.  The third bed at the back of the garden doesn't get a lot of sun however I have thyme and rosemary in this one and I will sprinkle tit with flower seeds so that I get lots of bees visiting.  Today I'm going to clean up my flower pots and replant those as the hot December days the plants all shriveled up and died and I haven't done anything about them as yet.

Home made focaccia with home grown rosemary and sea salt.

Home grown carrots - it's not something I normally grow because they take a long time and they are so cheap to buy so I prefer to grow other things that are quicker.

My breakfast - sourdough toast with avocado and feta and a coffee.

First veggie bed planted out with two types of lettuce and capsicums.  It already had oregano which I cut back by 2/3rds and some spring onions and a couple of capsicums which I think possums got to.  Oregano is so easy to grow I had 4 seedlings and they ended up growing the entire length of the veggie garden and about half a metre wide.

Finally all planted, watered and mulched ready to grow.

The trellis at the front has cucumbers around it and at the back I planted 4 tomatoes.   The garden already has spring onions planted.  I also planted two coriander and two basil seed mats.   I love the seed mat because it grows a great bunch of herbs.  Think round make up pad with seeds inside.

The seed mats for the coriander and basil are where the brown dirt patches are.

The last garden weeded ready for some flower seeds.  It currently has rosemary and thyme growing.

In the little Aldi veggie box on the right, I have some carrots and spinach which I planted using the seed tape a while back.

The chicken coop area has been very wet over the past week.  That blue bucket filled to the top with rain in one day.

10 comments:

  1. My veggie garden has been bare for about 6 months now. With this delightful rain we’ve been having plus the fact that Summer is almost over, my thoughts are turning back to planting again. I’ve missed it 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now is the time Cheryl to plant out your veggie garden for sure.

      Delete
  2. Everything looks so lush. I cannot wait to dig my hands into the soil. Only 3 more months!! Happy to hear you've had rain. Sounds like you've had quite a lot, more than you can use, but I guess better to have that then the opposite. That focaccia looks so scrumptious!!! Do you use potatoes or potato water in the dough? That's the only way I've ever made it but am always curious at other ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Staci the focaccia recipe is 400gms lukewarm water + 7gms dry yeast + 20gms olive oil + 500gms bakers flour [ie strong bread flour] + a pinch of salt for the dough then on top fresh rosemary and sea salt. Kathy

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Kathy!!! I'm going to make it this week - my husband will be very happy. :)

      Delete
  3. Great weather for planting out some new veg, Kathy. The seedlings will get a good drink with all this rain. I'm not long up from the garden. I planted some cherry tomatoes in an area where I've been throwing in the ends of spring onions and basil seeds etc. I noticed a few little spring onions growing and so thought I'd see if tomatoes might grow too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe a lot of tomato plants can pop up by themselves so here's hoping.

      Delete
  4. Your carrots look great Kathy! I've only ever grown dodgy looking ones that have lots of bits poking out all over them .. I will have to give the seed tape a try. The foccacia looks delicious too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Suzie, the seed tape was super easy to plant and I made sure I had fresh layered compost so that the carrots could grow straight..it the dirt is compacted they can't go deep and straight. They are so cheap to buy though but they did taste great. Thanks for stopping by as always and leaving a comment.

      Delete