Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Around here - DIY Toilet Pods

I've wrote a recent blog post on making my DIY Dishwasher Powder and yesterday I made some Toilet Pods for cleaning the toilet.  I've only made them once before however I ran out of citric acid so I haven't made them for a while.  I'm getting back into some non toxic DIY cleaning products so I made a batch of these yesterday afternoon.

I get my supplies from Vitalia in Brisbane and they also ship around Australia.  Here is a starter kit however there are many more kits on line and you can also buy bottles, labels, ingredients etc. essential oils, recipe cards etc.  The recipe for the Toilet Pods is on their website however I've written it out here too.  The whole process took about 10 minutes to mix it up and push it into the tray and then I let it sit for 24 hours before popping them out of the tray.  It's super quick and easy to make and ready to use.

TOILET PODS

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 x Cup of Baking Soda
  • 1/4 Cup of Citric Acid
  • 1.5 Tablespoons of unscented Castile Soap
  • 15 Drops of Tea Tree Essential Oils


METHOD
  • Stir the baking soda and citric acid together until combined.
  • Slowly mix in the Castile soap and Tea Tree Oil, stirring constantly until the mixture resembles wet sand.
  • Pack the pod mixture into a mould and let it dry for 24 hours.
  • Once dry, remove the pods from the mould and store in an airtight container.


HOW TO USE:-

Drop one pod into the toilet bowl, wait until the pod stops bubbling and scrub.  If the pods don't have a big bubble reaction just leave for 10 minutes and come back and scrub the toilet and then flush.



Mixture resembles wet sand.

Place into an ice cube tray.  I got these from Vitalia as the bottom of the cube is soft and you can poke out each toilet pod vs a very hard ice cube from an ice cube tray.

One jar for the kids bathroom and one for my ensuite.

The recipe above made 21 toilet pods using the tray I got from Vitalia.

Clearly labeled using a chalk pen.

Here's what they look like.


2 comments:

  1. I bought the ingredients for those years ago but never made them. One of those things I got enthusiastic about but never made 🙄

    ReplyDelete
  2. So quick and easy I'd give it a go again.

    ReplyDelete