Thursday, May 9, 2013

Our Family's Favourite Meal

Spaghetti Bolognese is and has been my favourite dinner since I was a kid and even when I bought my first house at 27 Mum asked me what I would like for dinner to celebrate and I said "spaghetti Bolognese".  I have been reading a blog for a couple of years called "Keep it Simple Keep it Fresh" for a couple of years and even bought one of her Aprons when I moved into our house 2 years ago.  Lissa was very excited sending me a Apron to be worn in Australia and she said in her email that she had once visited Toowoomba and remembers it being really cold.

Three of her family members are Celiacs' so cooking great tasting healthy meals for her family is a priority so any of her recipes I know will be good.

Her photography is beautiful and last year went to college to learn photography so her photos keep improving and I love seeing her posts.

Ever since Lissa posted this recipe in October 2011 we have been making this Bolognese recipe in the slow cooker which we all know is a great time saver.  The only thing I do differently to her recipe is I double the meat quantity.  It say 1 lb which is about half a kg and I use 500 gms of TURKEY mince and 500 gms of PORK/VEAL mince which is a mix you can buy at Woollies.  I'm not too fussy if they only have pork mince or veal mince in 500 gm packs however the 500 gms of TURKEY mince is a must.  This gives a beautiful rich flavour and the herbs and spices are great.  Cooking the 1 kg of mince with the other ingredients staying the same is fine.

This gives our family 3-4 meals so we eat one the night it is made and I have 2 for the freezer.  If you had a family of 4 it would make 3 meals not 4 but my kids LOVE this recipe and try and ask for seconds all the time.  I love that it's popped in the slow cooker and cooks away during the day and when we walk in the door after school pick up the kids love coming into the house smelling it knowing that it's Spaghetti Bolognese for dinner.  If you are looking for a change to your Bolognese recipe give this a try.

Lissa's recipe link is here.







2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this and for such sweet words kathy!! I think I'm going to try this recipe your way next time! Sounds like it'd taste delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Kathy, I think I'll have to give this one a go! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete