Friday, November 30, 2018

Christmas Pasta Salad

More than 20 years ago I was given a pasta salad recipe from my friend Linda and I would make it at Christmas time.  As with all recipes given by friends I name them after my friend. ie Linda's Pasta Salad, Kara's Lime Tart, Fran's Chocolate cake even though these aren't recipes that they made up themselves.

The pasta salad recipe is so tasty and I make it every Christmas for our family lunch.  The salad can be made at any time during the year however I only make it at Christmas so it's sort of a tradition.  Sienna just loves this salad however dislikes sultanas which are in it, however she is already dreaming about having this for Christmas Day and can't wait.  I'll have to take a better photo of it this year as I haven't got one specifically for the salad.  It's a savoury recipe and OMG it is so delicious.  I can guarantee you will love this pasta salad with the sweet and savoury and crunch of the apple, cashews and celery.  It's great to make this the day before so the flavours soak in so it's a great recipe for Christmas Day when you don't want to be in the kitchen.  In the picture below the pasta salad is on the left in the bowl which doesn't do it justice however it's a winner recipe.  I'll take a much better photo on Christmas Day and I'll update this post if I get to it before Sienna gets stuck into it.




LINDA'S PASTA SALAD

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 cups of uncooked pasta [shell or spiral pasta]
  • 3 red apples [cored and chopped finely - not peeled]
  • 3 shallots/spring onions [finely chopped]
  • 1/2 cup of cashews
  • 1/2 cup of celery [finely chopped]
  • 1/2 cup of sultanas
  • Salt & Pepper


DRESSING

  • 1 cup of mayonnaise
  • 3 tablespoons of fruit chutney
  • 2 teaspoons of curry powder


METHOD

  1. Cook pasta according to packet instructions, drain and cool.
  2. Chop all other dry ingredients.
  3. Place cooked pasta and dry ingredients together in a bowl and toss.
  4. In a separate bowl mix together dressing ingredients.
  5. Add dressing to dry ingredients and mix together.
NOTES:-

This is a huge serving that can feed 10-12 as a side salad with a meal. Last year I made half the recipe because we also serve Asian Noodle Salad with our prawns and ham and bread rolls so it's plenty for our table of 11.

I've never been a big fan of pasta salads you know the ones in the deli section of the supermarket, they just don't do it for me.  I can promise you this is full of flavour and texture and your family and friends will love it.  Let me now if you end up trying this recipe I would love to hear from you.


6 comments:

  1. What an interesting salad, a bit like Waldorf Salad meets pasta salad. I’m going to try it this Summer, because it sounds delicious to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of the curry powder, fruit chutney and mayo it's sweet and savoury...I hope you like it.

      Delete
  2. I usually do a pasta salad too, but yours sounds more interesting than mine. Do you think I could leave out the sultanas as my grandchildren aren't keen on them either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter doesn't like sultanas either so I make her pick them out because we have 10 other people at Christmas lunch who do. If your grandkids don't eat sultanas just leave them out. You could have them in a little bowl so anyone else who wants them mixed in they could do that. It will be fine without them. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Let me know how it goes.

      Delete
  3. I am going to try this too, Kathy. I always make a couple of big salads for us to have with lunches during the week. Yum! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete