Sunday, May 26, 2019

Around here - Crumpets Recipe

I have wanted to make home made crumpets for a long time however I have never attempted them until the other day when I saw this recipe on IG.  They mentioned that they make them in the pie maker which I thought was a brilliant idea as they are all the same shape and no messing around with egg rings.  It's a Thermomix recipe however you could easily make this using your food processor and a thermometer.  The person used a Kmart $29 pie maker in her IG post and luckily for us we have had a pie maker for years that we love making Chicken & Leek pies in.

You do need a couple of hours up your sleeve because you need to let the mixture sit for one hour and then another 10 minutes and you can only make 4 crumpets at a time in the pie maker.  Each batch take 5-6 minutes to cook however it was a nice Sunday morning and I made these while I was watched the Gardening Show I had recorded.

The recipe is called Thermomix Recipe - Crumpets anytime.  I always link to the recipes I use and then type them out on my blog as I have discovered some years later if I only use the link and someone closes their blog I've lost the recipe.  It's easy reference for me to go and search my blog for a recipe that I know I've written about.

Finished crumpets ready to eat.


INGREDIENTS FOR BATTER [makes 30 crumpets]

285 gms water
285 gms milk
2 teaspoons dried yeast
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
450 gms of bakers flour
1 teaspoon of cream of tartar

2ND LIQUID
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda [bi-carb]
150 gms of warm water

METHOD

  1. Place sugar, yeast and milk into Thermomix bowl. Set to mix for 3 minutes at 37c degrees on speed 2.  The mixture will become a little frothy.
  2. Add bakers flour, salt and cream of tartar and mix for 10 seconds on speed 7.
  3. Mix for 8 minutes at 37c degrees on speed 1.
  4. Leave in Thermomix bowl for one hour - until it has nearly reached the top.
  5. Add the baking soda [bi-carb] and warm water and beat on speed 6 for 2 minutes.
  6. Leave to rest for 10 minutes

If using a pie maker, heat the pie maker and add 1/4 cup of mixture to each of the 4 pie spots.  NOTE: you must leave the lid up - do not close lid while crumpets are cooking.
Cook for 5-6 minutes until most of the mixture has been cooked to the centre.
Finish off the crumpets by browning them in a fry pan for a minute or less on each side.

I like to eat mine with butter and golden syrup.  I froze most of them in a container and placed some "freezer paper" in between the layers so they would not stick together.  They have no chemicals in them and taste great.  I can highly recommend you give this recipe a go.

Mixture in the Thermomix bowl and the start of the crumpets in the pie maker - lid remains open.

As you can see they cook from the outside in and you can see the different colour on the outside that is already cooked.

Pan fying the tops to get them golden brown.

So happy with how these turned out and they are super easy to make, you just a couple of hours.

2 comments:

  1. Can I make these if I don't have a Thermomix bowl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just google crumpet recipe and you'll find one that you can cook on the stove.

      Delete