Saturday, May 4, 2019

Around here - Week in the Life

Loving the change in the weather as Autumn and Spring are my favourite times of the year.

Next week starting on Monday it's time again for my annual "Week in the Life" photo project.  I have been doing this time capsule project since 2008 so this year will be my 12th year.  Basically you take photos of your everyday life for a 7 day period doing life. ie making school lunches, driving the kids to school, dinners you eat, places you go, books you read, the breakfast cereals you eat etc.

Just think how cool it would be if your own parents could hand you a photo book of what a week in your life looked like when you were 5, 8, 12 etc.  My kids were really little like 4 and 2 when I first did this project and now they both are taller than me and as tall as me respectively.  Over the years kids interests change, TV shows they like etc. food they like, friends change, once at kindy, then primary school and now they are both at high school.  I always used to take photos of the DVD's they liked, the books they were reading and any hobby they were into like magic or knitting.



This project was created by Ali Edwards a USA storyteller and memory keeper.  I am ever so grateful for this project because I have these "time capsules" of what our life looked like from year to year.  What is normal every day stuff in 2019 may look different in 2020 even though you can't imagine it.  As an example I have photos of us at the local nursery that was operating for over 30 years and it has now been torn down due to a townhouse development.  I have photos of my kids in the video/dvd shop picking out their dvd's for the week and a year and a half ago it closed it's doors due to streaming services.  We used to go every Tuesday afternoon and get $1 weekly movies out and these little rituals have all been documented in my "Week in the Life" project.  We have moved house and schools during this time and having documented the school drop off and pick up and school uniforms etc. we will always have these memories.



I also love this project because Ali picks a week and everyone documents the same week [some have other reasons and do it at a different time] however for the most part I have always documented it the same week so everyone gets inspired.  It's a glimpse into people's daily lives from all over the world. Each day Ali posts her "photos and words" on her blog and then she puts her book together.

I do my book digitally rather than a scrapbooking style and use Blurb to do my book.

This is Elise's "Week in the Life" book before she had kids and her husband was deployed so even if you don't have kids there are still things to document in your life.


2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea, and I'm sure you'll all enjoy looking back in years to come.

    ReplyDelete