Friday, November 22, 2019

Around here - Sourdough Bread Rolls

As I mentioned in this post my friend and I did a Sourdough Bread making workshop which was just wonderful. Today I made the bread rolls which started last night with the pre-dough.  Like most bread making, the actual making doesn't take very long when you add only the time you did something vs the proving time.

So the pre-dough is made the night before which is Bakers Flour, Warm Water and a tiny bit of Yeast which is mixed together and then placed in the container with the lid on - see the first picture.  This is left on the kitchen bench at room temperature overnight for 12 hours.


In the morning this was what it looked like which is called the "pre-dough".

The main dough is made up of Bakers Flour, Warm Water, the pre-dough mix in the above picture, sugar, salt, butter, dry yeast and sourdough starter from the fridge. I made the starter at our Sourdough Workshop and have fed it and made a new one the following week.  The feeding will be on a Sunday every week making a new starter with part of the old starter.

As this was a large quantity of ingredients I had to transfer everything from my Thermomix to the Mix Master using the dough hook to knead it.  You can do this by hand however I used the Mix Master.   This dough needs to go back into the container with the lid on and rest for 1 hour.

 This is the main dough back in the container which I then put the lid on and let it rest for 1 hour.

This is what it looked like after an hour.

Next weigh the dough into 93gms balls.

Roll the dough in your hand on the board round and round with your fingers cupped and you get these round shapes.  Cover with a tea towel and rest for 10 minutes.

This is the dough rested for 10 minutes.

The next step was to shape the balls into a dumpling like shape and place them seem side down on a tray and cover them up to prove for 30 minutes.  I used tea towels to keep their shape a little bit there is a proper material you can buy to do this however I just made do with what I had.

Turn the rolls over and place on a tray and using a razor blade make a slit in the top of the roll.  Spray with water and sift over the top a mixture of 50% rye flour and 50% cornflour. 

Place a ramekin with boiling water on the bottom of the oven and bake in oven for 10-12 minutes the first batch and remove from oven.  Then put in the second batch and remove from oven. Then you can place all the bread rolls directly onto the oven shelves for a further 4-5 minutes to brown up nicely.

Sourdough Bread rolls.

So happy with how these turned out.

4 comments:

  1. They look delicious, Kathy! I am most envious of your bread-making as my loaves always turn out like bricks! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, some recipes are better than others I've found.

      Delete
  2. I saw these on Instagram last night, they look so good.

    ReplyDelete