Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Around here - Raspberry Coconut Slice [aka Raspberry Bar Slice]

Do you ever have those recipes that remind you of a certain time?  My Mum used to make us what I called "Raspberry Bar Slice" for afternoon tea after school.  This was a regular in our household and I don't think I have ever made it myself so yesterday afternoon I made it for the first time.  This recipe came from the Women's Weekly Beautiful Biscuits cookbook and it was really quick and easy and brought back lots of lovely memories for me.  It took less than 10 minutes to have this in the tray and in the oven so really quick. 


RASPBERRY COCONUT SLICE

BASE

3/4 cup of Plain Flour

1/4 cup of Self Raising Flour

2 Tablespoons of Sugar

90gms Butter

1 Egg

1/2 cup Raspberry Jam [or jam of your liking]

TOPPING

1 Egg

2 Tablespoons of Sugar

1 and a 1/4 cups of desiccated coconut

METHOD

[Turn oven on to 180 degrees]

Thermomix -  I put my dry ingredients [flours and sugar] and the butter into the Thermomix and process it on speed 6 for 10 seconds then add the egg and process it on speed 6 for about 3 seconds. OR

Food Processor - Combine sifted dry ingredients [flours and sugar] into a food processor and add roughly chopped cold butter and process until butter is evenly distributed through the dry ingredients then add the egg and process until the ingredients cling together.

Press dough evenly over the base of a well greased 28cm x 18cm [11 inches x 7 inches] lamington tin.

Spread evenly with Jam.

To make the topping, beat the egg and sugar together in a bowl and mix together using a fork then mix in the desiccated coconut.

Spread the topping over the top of the jam.

Bake in 180 degrees oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.  Check at the 25 minute mark.

This is the slice before it's cooked ready to go into the oven.




10 comments:

  1. Oh, I DO remember these! Haven't seen or thought of them for years. That lovely combination of soft coconutty top and slightly firmer bottom layer with a jammy squidge in the middle ... Thank-you for the recipe. I am going to see if I can make a gluten-free version of this :). (And that's a very pretty plate.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that everyone is resonating with this old fashioned recipe...

      Delete
  2. Kathy I can remember eating that slice. I am not sure if mum baked it but my Aunty certainly did along with caramel tarts and other goodies. It was yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes the caramel tarts...we didn't have that however we did cook a slice that was in the Everyday Cookbook we did home ec at school in Grade 8. We used to have to carry out cooked tray of slice on the bus home. Also every single person had to bring in their own ingredients to school to make it.

      Delete
  3. My Mum would bake this too, Kathy. Delicious! MegXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a regular in my house when my kids were younger, one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be one of those "old fashioned recipes" that everyone use to have as a kid....so good.

      Delete
  5. It looks and sounds delicious! I have a few recipes that my mom and I used to make when she was first teaching me to bake. I treasure them and the memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister was at a coffee shop the owner had framed their grandmothers recipes in clear frames hung on the wall of the coffee shop so they could turn them over to see both side. We have to preserve these treasures.

      Delete