Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Around here - Home Made Wraps

We have been making home made wraps using a recipe using yoghurt from the "Down to Earth" book for a long time now however the recipe I made today is just plain flour, baking powder, salt, coconut oil or butter and water.

You know how much I love Tracey & Jo's recipes from Additive Free Lifestyle so today for lunch I decided to make some home made wraps using their recipe.  Wraps are so easy to make and these were so nice.  The tip is as you make them pop them into a tea towel and cover them up so they will stay soft instead of going hard.  They can also be frozen as well and I have put some freezer paper in between them so I can take one out at a time if I need too.  As it was just me at home I made a half batch of 6 wraps and then I had one for lunch with ham and salad and OMG it was so soft and fresh.  So simple and I can highly recommend this recipe.  I also have some baby spinach in the fridge so I might try and make these spinach ones too.

You can make them yourself using 6 ingredients or take a look at the spinach wraps you find in the supermarket...look at this ingredient list for Spinach Wraps.

You will notice that the reason they are green is from a combination of blue and yellow food colour and they use spinach ‘seasoning’ (no real spinach!)

Ingredients: Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Water, Vegetable Shortening (Interesterified Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil and/or Palm Oil), contains 2% or less of each of the following: Seasoning (Spinach Powder, Onion Powder, Spice, Salt, Garlic Powder, Soybean Oil, Artificial Colors [FD&C Yellow #5 Lake and FD&C Blue #1 Lake], Natural and Artificial Flavor), Salt, Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Sulfate, Corn Starch, Monocalcium Phosphate and/or Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Calcium Sulfate), Distilled Monoglycerides, Enzymes, Wheat Starch, Calcium Carbonate, Antioxidants (Tocopherols, Ascorbic Acid), Vital Wheat Gluten, Cellulose Gum, Dough Conditioners (Fumaric Acid, Sodium Metabisulfite), Preservatives (Calcium Propionate, Sorbic Acid and/or Citric Acid).

Below are my home made wraps I made for lunch today, very satisfying.





4 comments:

  1. These look every bit as good as the shop-bought ones, and that list of ingredients is truly horrific. I have book-marked this for my DH, and will use when we are able to have visitors over again. I find wheat flour difficult to digest, and was sad to see that the gluten-free version a commenter tried was not a success but I have discovered a super recipe using chickpea (gram flour) and sparking water which works a treat. I do enjoy your food posts and links, so thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alexa for your lovely comment, I think in 2021 gluten free flours and things are 100 times better than they were 15 years ago. Things have come a long way. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you ever right about commercial wraps. The ingredient lists are always very long and always contain at least a few horrible ingredients. Not to mention that it's getting to be impossible to find food labels that don't contain hydrogenated oils or palm oil. These look and sound amazing - thank you for sharing the link to the recipe. I'm definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could make them even healthier using wholemeal flour.

      Delete