Sunday, January 17, 2021

Around here

I live in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia and it's a sub-tropical environment where we can grow veggies all year long and we don't get any morning frosts either.

I have been reading Heather's blog from North Ridge Farm again and she and her husband now live in Vermont and their grown up daughter lives away.  I was reading Heather's former blog years and years ago.  In other places in the world they get snowed in for months at a time and I can see the need for stock piling and canning when you can't have a vegetable garden or get to the shops.  I have two major supermarkets 2 kms to the right of our home and 2 major supermarkets 2kms to the left of our home so I don't need to stockpile much for summer or winter.  We have an organic farmers market about 20 minutes from where we live which are open on Sundays and also another farmers market open on Saturdays although not organic it is a fresh fruit and veggie market.  The image below is from Heather's "about page".   You can also do her online courses which are self paced.

Heathers former blog was called Beauty that Moves and she now blogs at North Ridge Farm.  Her home and environment screams home made, nourishing, cosy and you just want to be there.  Her abundance of homegrown and home made food is wonderful and I love all her photos.  When I see all of Heather's produce photos it makes me want to get stuck into my veggie garden that I have neglected over the past 6 months.  You can follow her on Instagram here.

Here in Australia [although they are now living in Italy] Matt & Lentil have written two amazing books on growing food and cooking from scratch.  Their first book called "Grown & Gathered" is amazing and their second book "The Village" was written after they spent some time in Italy.  I've got both of their books and can highly recommend them.  Their blog has some great recipes and beautiful photographs.  They started with a small house and parcel on land on Matt's Dad's property in Victoria and grew veggies and flowers and instead of selling the flowers they created the Flower Exchange Project.  I love their passion for home grown and home made.  They are now living experiencing Italian life as much as they can due to lockdowns.  They have a small vineyard which they purchased and I just read an article this morning how this came about and I can't find it to link it.  If I do I'll come back and update it as it was great.

Here's a few recent photos from around here.

Sienna made a spinach and feta tart for dinner including making the pastry from scratch which was delicious.  I was very impressed.


Roast chicken for dinner..didn't have any greens to go with it however I'm really good at making homemade gravy now and it tastes delicious.

Threw all the chicken bones and onions from the roast chicken into the slow cooker overnight to make chicken stock.

Four jars of homemade chicken stock are now in the freezer...how good is "free food".

Made some sticky buns however wasn't too keen on this recipe so I'll try another one next time.

Sticky buns.

Looks like I need to clean my driveway again.

Yesterday afternoon storm clouds rolling in however we only got about 5 mins of rain.

Looking towards the bottom of our street with the storm clouds.

6 comments:

  1. Kathy, the storms have been a bit hit and miss around here but I am glad we have escaped any damage in some of the recent ones. I think you got a storm in the last few days but there was nothing here which isn't unusual. Thanks for those blog links. I will check them out. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes storm damage is not much fun, the city got a lot of rain with some flash flooding. Have a great week.

      Delete
  2. That sounds like an amazing climate to be living in ... I once had the chance to visit Costa Rica and it was wonderful to not feel cold even once in the ten days I was there! We fight with long winters and short summers and low light here. Your links look very interesting and I'm off to follow them up in a few minutes. What beautiful-loking tart Sienna has made! You've taught them well :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore Heather's writing and photos too. I find them very warm and comforting. The photos of the clouds are beautiful! And that tart!! She's very talented indeed. Don't you just love making homemade stock? It's honestly the best thing ever because it feels like you get this amazing product for free and with little work. I squeeze what I can from leftover veggies as well as those almost past their prime and, of course, bones. :) Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, making use of old veggies too. Have a good week Staci.

      Delete