Wednesday, August 26, 2026

Around here - Sewing Diaries - Burb Cloths

You know in a previous post I showed you my new Janomi Sewing Machine I bought which I am loving.  It's been ages since I've really been crafty and sewing is bringing me so much joy at the moment.  Last Saturday I saw an IG post where someone had made some Baby Burb Cloths and thought they looked quick and easy so I headed down to Spotlight to buy some fabric.  I ended up buying 25cm of 7 different flannel fabrics as there were so many cute patterns I couldn't decide so I bought them and each piece ended up about $1.50.  The seagulls with the chips I think was $1.88.  My niece lives near the beach so I thought this was very appropriate.  I also needed some white towelling material and cotton bamboo wadding for the middle.  Honestly they are a really quick easy sewing project and great for any Mum with a new baby.


Once the materials were cut out it only took about 10 minutes to make one.  As I wanted the cotton bamboo wadding in the middle the way you layer the fabric to sew and turn inside out is as follows:-

1st layer - Wadding
2nd layer - Main fabric right side up
3rd layer -  Toweling material right side down

Then pin them together and I overlocked around the whole thing leaving a leaving a 5cm gap for turning inside out. Once it was turned inside out I used a chopstick to poke around the inside edges so they were all pushed out and then pressed it with the iron.  I also folded neatly the 5cm gap that was opened and then ironed it so it was ready for me to sew around the edges with the sewing machine.

The finished burb cloths and the shape of them are great as it sits on your shoulder perfectly.
The pattern I used is a free pattern from Sew Crafty Me.


Spotlight still had their big sale on so it cost me approx $30 to make 7 of them and also I have enough to make a matching bib out of each of the fabrics.  I did end up making one bib with the green sheep fabric however I think the neck section is too small.   I tried another pattern and while the neck was bigger I still didn't like the pattern for a few reasons so I'll go back to the drawing board on a pattern.    The baby won't really need bibs until they start on solids in 6 month time so I think I'll look for a bib pattern for a 6 month old.  If you know of any free patterns let me know.











#sewing #janomi #craftprojects #simpleliving #burbcloths #hobbies #handmade #babygifts #simpleliving #crafts #sewingprojects #sewingforbeginners

No comments:

Post a Comment