Sunday, May 31, 2020

Around here

Last week we had the most beautiful sunset and everyone in Brisbane was talking about it and posting photos.  Here is a picture with no filter or Lightroom edits, just standing in front of my house looking over our roof to the back.  It was so pretty and everywhere you looked was pink and purple and it was amazing.  


I'm a chocolate lover from way back and we all know the better quality the chocolate the better it is for you.  I know they say that 80-90% cocoa is better for you however I find that too bitter for my liking and not sweet at all which is probably why you can only eat one square at a time instead of the whole block.  While I am trying not to buy chocolate from the shops I do need to have a chocolate treat in the freezer so I can have something that is more wholefoods than chemicals.  Dr Libby's Brain Balls are what I've had in the freezer over the past two months and I'll have one in the evening if I feel like chocolate.  They are called brain balls because they have walnuts in them and the walnuts look like brains.

Today I found this recipe and as I had all the ingredients on hand I made some "Coconut Rough" using this "Cacao Rough" recipe.  It's super easy to make as you put everything into a food processor or Thermomix and mix for 5 seconds then press into a small lined tray and pop it into the freezer.  The recipe is also listed below because if I don't put it on my blog and years later I just have the link and the website is shut down or no longer around I end up loosing the recipe.  I know I have a lot of recipes and links on my blog so I make sure I actually type it up as well so I have it forever.

CACAO ROUGH [AKA GOLDEN ROUGH] [from Well Nourished Blog]

INGREDIENTS
  • 100gms almond meal [1 cup]
  • 30gms cacao powder [1/4 cup]
  • 85gms rice malt syrup [1/4 cup] - you could also use maple syrup or honey
  • 50gms shredded coconut [1 cup]
  • 100gms coconut oil [1/2 cup] - make sure this is in liquid form or melt to achieve liquid
  • 20gms chia seeds [1/4 cup] - this is optional however I put them in as they are good for you
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract or essence

METHOD
  1. Place all the ingredients into Thermomix on Speed 4 for 5 seconds or use a food processor to combine.
  2. Press the mix into a small lined tray and then place in freezer.
  3. Once set, remove from the tin and chop into little squares.
  4. Store in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.
As I love Mint Patties and Golden Roughs [or anything chocolate] I made the "Cacao Rough" and I have to say it's pretty nice.  I cut the slice up into 2cm x 2cm squares [3/4 of an inch] and popped them back into the freezer in a container as this way when I want a little chocolate fix I'm not eating rubbish chocolate.  When you eat sugar you want more sugar however if you are eating wholefoods you don't get that sugar high and crash and addiction to eat 10 more mint patties.  I didn't take a picture of my Cacao Rough however it looks just like the picture on the recipe.  I can highly recommend it and it only took 5 minutes to get the ingredients out and make it.  If you have never seen "That Sugar Film" you need to watch it.


Let me know if you make this little treat.  It's not the same as the Nestle Golden Rough however it hits the spot and even better knowing it's additive and preservative free too.

Here's another photo from the sunset last week looking down to the bottom of our street.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! That sunset is spectacular!!! You captured it perfectly. I absolutely adore chocolate as well and am not very fond of the (healthier) 80-90%. I've given up refined sugar though so I have not had much chocolate for some time. The Cacao Rough sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can never give up chocolate however I can certainly focus on having something else that is healthier and a better option to satisfy my sweet tooth. Have a good week Staci.

      Delete