Thursday, October 3, 2019

Around here - Camping

It's still school holidays and then we will be heading into the last term of the school year.  Soon it will be 2020 and we will be starting another school year in the blink of an eye.  Last week we went camping for a couple of days and had a great time.  Sitting around relaxing, laughing, eating good food and generally just having some down time.  Unfortunately due to the weather there were no camp fires allowed and for the first time ever the creek was not flowing and only half the creek had water in it.  It was such a shock as we were there a year ago and it wasn't as bad as that.  We had a little Mikey Bird that spent most of it's time in our camp site wandering underneath our chairs and was very friendly.  It was such a great time and I'm so glad we booked at the last minute to go.






I have been busy painting 3 bedrooms and a huge hallway and my sister helped me out as it was such a huge job.  It looks amazing and I'm so pleased it's all done.  Now I have to get to my bedroom and do the same however as it's only one room so it will be much quicker.  I'm also painting the bathroom vanity to make it more of a Hamptons grey and white look vs the cream-yellow counter top it is now.  Lets just say I'm at Bunnings on a daily basis at the moment.  I used British Paints gloss paint "Star White" on the door frames, window frames and skirting boards and then on the walls I used "Snow Peak" which in fact was [by accident] a perfect match to the existing colour.  All the walls look so fresh and amazing and I'm thrilled with it all.  Will have to get back to painting the doors in that section as there are 5 of them however for now the main part is all done.

I'm also going to refresh the bathroom vanity by using the Dulux Special Renovation Range to paint the laminate bench top and the doors and cupboards.  You need to apply a special primer which is like a tacky glue liquid and paint that on first so that your special paint will adhere to the surface.  The primer needs to dry for 4 hours and then you can apply the paint.  On the laminate bench top I used Dulux "Natural White" [they tint the special Renovation Paint range for this] and on the cupboards I used a semi-gloss and the colour is "Silkwort".   The paint needs 8 hours to dry between coats.  I'm going to use matte black handles on the cupboard doors and drawers and get black tapware as well.

As I have terracotta tiles on the bathroom floor and toilet floors I wanted to paint them as well so I started out painting the toilet floor as it's a small area and used Dulux semi-gloss and the colour is "Dieskau".  I've done one coat on the toilet floor tiles and it looks great and it needs 8 hours between coats so today I will apply the 2nd coat.  It totally changes the look of the toilet without the orange terracotta tiles on the floor the small room looks so fresh.  I'm so happy with how easy it was to paint the vanity top and cupboards and it will make a huge difference without the cost of a new vanity, pluming or tiles.  Next week I'm going to paint the toilet and bathroom walls in the British Paints "Snow Peak" bathroom wet area paint which will have a special anti mold component in it.





4 comments:

  1. It's always good to take some time away from the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives and just be in the moment, especially when it gives us quality time with our kids making memories with them. I painted every room in my house last year except my bedroom so that's on my list of things to do before the weather gets too hot, I look forward to seeing the bathroom when it's finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you need to get to paint your bedroom sooner rather than later...so nice to be in a freshly painted room.

      Delete
  2. I will be interested to see the finished bathroom, toilet as I have thought of doing the same to my vanity and cupboards but not sure how it would be. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll post a before and after once it's all done. It's come up amazingly you just need 8 days [a day] between coats. Today I'll be putting the gloss onto of the white vanity top and even without it, it looks amazing.

      Delete