Saturday, October 19, 2019

Around here - Simple Living blog posts

It was years ago that I started on the "Simple Living" lifestyle all because I read an article by Rhonda Hetzel from Down to Earth blog which was in the Burke's Backyard Magazine.  At the time I was in Melbourne visiting relatives who had a wonderful veggie patch and they would go outside and pick fresh veggies lettuce, cucumber, capsicum, shallots for a salad for dinner.  It really inspired me to want to grow fresh veggies and get chickens which was about 10 years ago.  I thought it might be fun to go back and read some old posts of when I started out to see how far we have come.

First of all check out this beautiful home grown lettuce picked from the garden yesterday.  I need to refresh my veggie garden as I have neglected it while I have been painting inside the house however I have got quite a few lettuces growing which is handy for summer salads.


This was my very first blog post on 7th July, 2012.

In 2013 I started making the Five Seed Bread in the Thermomix which is our families favourite.

Again in 2013 our first pasta making session, love seeing how little the kids are.

2013 was a big year for tying things and I made some home made butter.

I joined in a blog link called "Slow Living Essentials" where we posted an update on what we had been up to.

Our first home made tortillas were a big hit.  We actually now make Rhonda's flat bread recipe all the time now.

Again in 2013 our first home grown potatoes were very exciting.

in 2014 we started making home made baked beans and have been using this recipe ever since.  We never buy store bought baked beans now.  I make a big batch and then freeze some in containers for the week.

James made his first Turkish Bread with the Thermomix.

When I first started making laundry powder which I love.  I tried making a laundry liquid however I didn't like it so I have stuck with this recipe which I love.

My first time making soap which I've only made 3 times.

In 2013 we started making our own Vanilla.

My sisters and I made our first mozzarella cheese in January 2014 and we loved it.  Sadly we haven't given it another go however I think next year I will focus on this.

Our first home grown cucumbers were so exciting Sienna had to cut it up herself.

Our suburb getting into the community spirit by creating a local Farmers Market.



One of my favourite books I've read about creating a simple living life.

I started crocheting a knee blanket.

Making homemade Granola.

Meeting Rhonda and Hanno from Down to Earth Blog at a talk at a local library.  She was the inspiration that led me to these wonderful activities.

The easiest way to clean your microwave. Once I learnt this trick I have never looked back so simple.

My friend and I got together to do baking at her property with a wonderful book that I had bought for myself and when she moved to her property I gifted her a copy too.

This is the best fluffiest bread roll recipe which we now make.

Planting out some new veggies.



Home made Christmas Ornaments using 3 ingredients.

The first time we made home made dumplings...OMG - amazing.

Hummus from scratch including cooking the chickpeas.

My absolute favourite book in the entire world about life with your kids and how quickly it goes.

Further on from cooking from scratch I went deeper this year listening to the podcasts of Jo and Tracey form Additive Free Lifestyle which was so informative and something that everyone needs to listen too.

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to enjoy reading through your links, Kathy. I was inspired by Rhonda too and then others too. Your lettuce looks crisp and healthy; I am growing lettuce in pots this season along with yellow cherry tomatoes. I do have Lebanese cucumbers just beginning to fruit in my veg patch but, like you, I need to refresh and feed the soil there too. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually only grow 2 tomato plants..need to grow more. My first ever Tommy Toe Tomato plant I grew years ago had so many tomatoes on it. I used to take a little brown paper bag with them in to give to the kindy teacher and assistant and they used to rave about them being the best tomatoes they had ever had and the colour was so red too...such great memories of growing your own.

      Delete