Friday, June 19, 2020

Around here

We've had a little bit of rain this week which has been lovely and we've also had some hot nights for June as well.  I think summer will be here before we know it.  Only one more week of Term 2 until the school holiday and it's strawberry picking time so we are going to go to one of the strawberry farms on the holidays.  The strawberries are expensive, however you can't get much fresher when you pick them yourself and I always consider this as an experience and an outing as well as purchasing the strawberries.  My kids also love the fresh strawberry ice cream and that's all they are talking about at the moment when I mention we are going to the strawberry farm.

This was our first time strawberry picking back in 2014 when the kids were little.  The strawberry industry did it tough in 2018 with most of the crops having to be destroyed costing strawberry growers $12M in losses.  It was absolutely heartbreaking for the growers and the customers.

Here's a few photos from our week.

Not much growing in the garden however I harvested this bowl of cherry tomatoes.
 
This is the Orange Trumpet Plant which flowers May/June although it was a bit late this year.

Tomato ready to be picked.

Some more tomatoes ready to be picked.

The Trumpet Vine.

Home made baked beans.  If you've never made them before I urge to you make this recipe so yummy.

Salmon noodle dish which was quite delicious.

Home made chocolate slice.


6 comments:

  1. Strawberries just showed up at our farmer's market for the first time last weekend. I'm going to purchase some for fresh eating this weekend. I can't wait! They've always been my favorite fruit. That photo of the tomatoes in the bowl is stunning. And I've never seen an Orange Trumpet plant before - it's beautiful!! Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Staci....I would have thought our strawberry growing season and your season is different however I think there is a 6 month growing season.

      Delete
  2. Kathy I am hopeless at growing strawberries so should give up trying. I have managed to keep some cherry tomatoes alive but they won't last long once it gets colder and we are in for a cold week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a very cold snap is forecast for this week and I can feel it today. brrrr.

      Delete
  3. I hope that Summer doesn't come too soon, Kathy. I really prefer milder weather. I saw this week that some cold mornings are forecast.

    Your cherry toms look lovely in the photo. I am picking toms here too. I have fruit on my strawberries growing in a pot but they are nowhere near ripe yet. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Autumn and Spring, you can have Winter and Summer as it's so hot here in Brisbane. Have a good week Meg.

      Delete