Monday, January 27, 2020

Around here - Home Made Tzatziki

I've only ever made Tzatziki once before and since I'm wanting to have more healthy snacks in the fridge I decided to make some today.  One tip I recently learnt was to let the yoghurt drain for 1-2 hours or even over night so it's not watery and the yoghurt goes really creamy which is what I did.


 
INGREDIENTS:-

500gms Natural Greek Yoghurt
3-4 small baby cucumbers [I buy the little packet of Qukes from Aldi]
1/4 cup of olive oil
1-2 gloves of garlic crushed
salt & pepper to taste

METHOD:-

You'll need a bowl, sieve and cloth like a clean chux cloth.  It's so simple, drain the yoghurt, grate and drain the cucumber, add oil, garlic, salt and pepper.

Place the chux cloth in your sieve and then place your sieve over the bowl.

Spoon the Greek yoghurt into the sieve and put it into the fridge for 1-2 hours or overnight like I did so it can draw out any excess water and the yoghurt will become very creamy.

When your yoghurt has drained, grate the cucumber into another chux cloth and squeeze out any excess water.  I used my nut bag for this and turned it inside out so the cucumber doesn't get caught in the seams which is what  I do for my almond milk.

Add the strained yoghurt into a large bowl and then add the grated cucumber, olive oil, crushed garlic and season with salt and pepper and then mix it altogether and it's done.  So simple, yet so tasty and no chemicals for it to sit on a supermarket shelf. 

You might also be interested in this Labneh recipe which is the same principal.  Pour some Sweet Chilli Sauce over the top for a quick and easy dip.


My glass bowl with a strainer and chux cloth with the yoghurt draining overnight.

Squeezing out my grated cucumber in my nut bag.

The yoghurt [or Labneh] after leaving it overnight looks like cream cheese.

Adding in the other ingredients for the Tzatziki.

After I mixed it altogether I grated a bit more cucumber to go in the bowl.

Ready for a snack...fresh home made Tzatziki and Woolworths home brand rice crackers.  We have been buying these Multigrain ones at $1.35 however now I'm buying these Black Sesame also $1.35 which are even nicer.  These are home brand crackers and great value and I prefer these to the Aldi ones.  I can highly recommend you give this a go and I'm going to cut up some carrot sticks to go in the fridge as well.


8 comments:

  1. Kathy, having healthy snacks on hand is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and so simple when you think about it too. Thanks for popping in.

      Delete
  2. Great idea, I never thought to drain the yogurt, I like to also add a little chopped mint.
    First time I tried Tatziki was as a dip with zucchini fritters, which is still a favourite as they can be made in big batches and frozen....yumm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes the dip would be great on zucchini fritters, I must try that. Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  3. That looks yummy!
    I’m on a bit of a diet...although I do hate that word! I’m very uncomfortable at my current weight, so I started an exercise and low carb program today....I’ll see how it goes...this recipe would fit in well with my plans. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice with carrot or celery sticks..give it a go as it's lovely and creamy.

      Delete
  4. I need to have more healthy snacks in my house too. Your tzatziki look delish!

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I have been eating it all week...so delicious.

      Delete