Saturday, January 18, 2020

Around here - Meal Prepping ideas

As you know this year I am trying to cut down on my grocery bill and not wasting any food so a big part of that is meal prepping.  Last week I wrote a post that had a link in there about meal prepping and this week I have come across the most inspiring meal prepping videos and blog ever.  If you haven't heard of the food term "JERF" which means "Just Eat Real Food" or "Whole 30" which is wholefoods so it's the same same.

This week I discovered Lisa from Downshiftology blog has many inspiring recipes from healthy basics, meal prepping, to an extensive recipe collection.  This is Lisa's YouTube channel has amazing videos and her food photography is amazing as well.  In her meal prep videos she has a PDF file you can download with a link to all the recipes and times so no need to take any notes.  She has thought of everything.


The four meal prepping links below are 20-25 minutes each and while I love shorter 10-15 minute video myself,  I can guarantee you will be at the farmers market and home to meal prep once you sit down with your cuppa and watch anyone of these videos.  Not only does she prep 10-12 items in containers for the week she then shows you how the meals, breakfast, lunch and dinner come together easily during the week once everything is prepped.  Make sure you watch these videos or just watch one first and you will want to watch the others.





Some other great to check out are below:-



How to make Almond Butter .  I'm going to give this a try as I'm now making Almond Milk in my nut bag for myself.




I've bought the ingredients to make this Paleo Chocolate Zucchini Bread which looks delicious.


What about this amazing Vegan Caramel Cheesecake Recipe.


Also I would love to make these crackers as well, in fact, you can pick any recipe on this website and I would love to make it.

Serve the crackers with Roasted Beet Hummus with Basil Pesto.




If her website doesn't give you inspiration to get organized for the week and eat healthy I don't know what will.  I could spend hours on her website going through every recipe.  I will definitely be making more of her recipes.  Gone are the days of low fat this and low fat that and items from the supermarket shelf like condiments.  Just eat real food and you will be healthy on the inside as well as the outside.  I hope this post gives you inspiration because it certainly has for me.

Over the last year I purchased a number of glass containers for my fridge which we put grated cheese in, cut up lettuce, cut up capsicum etc.  It's been great because when you are making a salad wrap for lunch and your ingredients are ready to go instead of each day having to wash, grate, cut up each day it says time and mess in the kitchen.  I only ever buy them when they are half price at Woollies and I have been keeping my eye out for the last 2 weeks and they haven't been on sale yet so I will stock up when they are half price so keeping my eye out.  I get this size and this size for the fridge and I go for the rectangle ones as they are more stackable in the fridge than the round ones.  I do also use these plastic Sisterma Meat Keepers to store my coriander and kale and put a paper towel on the top and bottom and they keep for at least 3 weeks.  The meat keepers have a plastic grate in the bottom and it's great for chopped up watermelon too because of the juices sit underneath the plastic grate and keeps your watermelon from being too soggy.

Do you have any "go to tips" that you use weekly to stay organized as I would love to hear from them.

PS...I've just updated my blog header for the first time since 2012 let me know what you think. It took me a while to get the current sizing correct to go across the top of the page however I got there in the end.

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for introducing me to this YouTube channel, I just watched a couple of her videos, and they are really good! I would eat everything she makes, as would my husband, but the kids wouldn’t! They aren’t exactly fussy eaters, but they have many dislikes too, much of which she used, ie avocado, eggs etc (only one child eats eggs 🙄) I find it hard to strike a balance between all our preferences and that usually means we eat similar food week in, week out. Maybe some of her recipes will work for us, I will be sure to give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like her channel and blog with recipes Cheryl. I've just made the chocolate zucchini bread - super easy and looks great, can't wait until it cools down to try some. Simple recipe, mix dry ingredients in one bowl, wet in the other and then mix together and then in the oven.

      Delete
  2. Love your new blog header, Kathy. I keep meaning to update mine and then never get around to it! I am a big believer in eat real, whole foods and definitely feel they enhance health and wellbeing in so many ways. The resources you've found sound interesting and well worth a read so I'll be checking them out. Thanks for the links!
    Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten how to even change the blog header it had been so long. I'm sure you will love the links.

      Delete
  3. Another of my goals this year is to meal prep on Sundays ready for the week ahead and I actually found Lisa's YouTube channel yesterday afternoon while I was searching for meal prep videos, I didn't know she had a blog though, I will definitely be having a look at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent a couple of hours on her blog and youtube channel so much to share and be inspired by. Funny that you found her channel too...

      Delete
  4. I've been following her for a few months as well. I love how well she explains everything - a lot of good ideas indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I found her to be calming and very detailed too.

      Delete