Friday, January 3, 2020

Around here - New Year Budgeting

It's that time of the year when we reassess our goals and budgets and try and pick up as many tips and tricks as you can to squeeze that extra little bit of money out of your budget to pay for bills or savings or having your "mojo" [emergency] account.

This week I came across this $1,000 savings plan recently which I thought was wonderful and you can download the sheet here.  This chart is flexible so you just cross off any box with the amount in it each week and pop the money into a jar.  The largest amount is $60 and appears once so I love this plan.  I'm going to do this myself this year.


There is also this book on saving $1,000 and then investing it called "The $1000 Project" by Canna Campbell.

I've spoken about the 52 week money challenge before where you save a set amount each week and it increases each week however the last half of the year the weekly amount goes up significantly and is pretty steep. I think the system above where you can pick any amount is more flexible and doable.  The idea is that you do something and whatever appeals to you the most to save $1,000 for the Christmas Holidays or those December/January bills and back to school expenses.


Here is a link to a blog post I wrote out in January 2018 you might like to read.

If you haven't read "The Barefoot Investor" or the "The Barefoot Investor for Families" I can highly recommend you do.  Don't let the word "Investor" put you off...it's money tips and how to manage your money, mortgage, bills, expenses, save for holidays and generally how to handle your money.  It is a MUST for anyone and particularly young teens who start earning money.   These books are super simple to read chapter by chapter with a summary at the end of each chapter and what to do. ie if you want to ring your bank and get a better interest rate there are scripts in what to say.  These books are worth their weight in gold and every person needs to read them from cover to cover.

This year my goal is to do better in the area of food budgeting.  I do my best however I need to meal plan more and stay away from the shops.  I plan to do buy my fruit and veggies at the farmers markets once a week as the experience of the markets is beautiful and a happy place and it seems healthy too with no 2 for 1 specials to entice you.

Last year I did the "Addictive Free Made Easy" 4 week online course" which was great and reinforced the need for cutting back on products I was buying that were shelf items ie tomato and BBQ sauce and Coleslaw Dressing etc, pizza sauce.  The home made versions are 100 times better for you as you know what goes in them and also they taste incredible hands down.  The recipes are in this blog post for Mayonnaise & Coleslaw Dressing and they are super quick and easy.



This week for the very first time I made my own "Almond Milk" using Fiona's recipe.  I bought myself a "nut bag" about 6 months ago and never got around to making any Almond Milk as I have been buying it from the supermarket.  I guess a lot of the recipes make a large amount and as I am the only one using it in morning smoothies I don't need a huge jug of it however this made a small quantity and it tasted great.  Another item I no longer need to buy from the supermarket.  

A few months ago I typed up a word document with a list of all the things I now make under headings like Condiments, Breads, Main Meals, Cleaning, Dips & Spreads, Biscuits, Cakes & Muffins, Breakfasts etc. I also included the date I first made the recipe and from what book or website the recipe was from.  If there was a recipe I wanted to make and haven't yet I had that in red with at "to be made" comment.  I found it so handy having all of this in the one spot and to see just how far we have come in making our own things.  

Home made crumpets.

Home made Pizza Pin Wheels

I have ordered the "Everyday Addictive Free Cookbook" which should be arriving in the next week as well however any recipe on their website I can highly recommend them.  I can highly recommend you listen to the 7 podcasts in this blog post from the AFL girls because it will be mind blowing for you.  Making your food from scratch is time consuming however it also gives you the most satisfying sense of pleasure.  We have been making our meals from scratch for many many years however taking it to the next level of condiments etc has given me a new sense of satisfaction and knowing it is good for my family and my food budget too.

Home made Tomato Sauce

Home made Butter


So my goal this year is to cut back on the food expenditure even by $20 a week so that money can be used elsewhere.  Home made, farmers markets, less trips to the supermarket and grow more veggies.  My poor garden is pretty sad at the moment with the heat so next week will be a priority to get weed the veggie garden and sort it out as eating lettuce, tomatoes and herbs from the garden is such a feel good thing to do and it makes me so happy.  What are your 2020 plans?

8 comments:

  1. You sound very organised, Kathy. I still haven't settled on any major plans but perhaps I won't. I am beginning a new part-time job in late January (two days a week). I am always trying to save every little bit I can. I just grocery shopped this morning. I menu planned first, looked at the specials and then went to two different supermarkets (including Aldi) and a local butcher shop. I takes time but it saves money. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean...Woollies and Aldi for me whilst they are in the same complex they are not in the centre together you have to go out of the shops and at the other side of the car park. Sometimes if I need the milk I like I just stay in Woollies and get a few things however I know Aldi is so cheap for tins and pasta, tissues, maple syrup, frozen veggies etc. Good luck with the new part time job.

      Delete
  2. The grocery budget has been on my mind too lately. Food is just getting so bloody expensive, especially meat, also our kids are eating like adults now so feeding 5 adults is expensive. I’m trying to cut down on meat and snacks to reign it in.

    I’ve adopted a word for 2020, something I’ve never done before, but I’m hoping it will remind me and encourage me every day. That word is preparedness. I’m sick of paying bills late...or worse forgetting to pay them at all, losing school notes, sending late birthday cards, having an ironing pile that touches the ceiling 😂 so this year, I’m getting ahead and staying there...🤞

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have cut down on meat and have 2 or 3 meatless meals however we are not vegetarians or any other thing just I have found yummy recipes to try and when you eat them they are not as heavy as meat meals. Being prepared definitely saves you money.

      Delete
  3. I like your plans for saving money and how you are conscientious and determined about it. I think I might try this too, as we move into the scary world of retirement and fixed incomes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never hurts to save extra with little bits and pieces throughout the year.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great plan Kathy...good luck with your savings....I think your crumpets look fantastic !!

    ReplyDelete