Saturday, March 28, 2020

Around here - Turkish Pide Bread for lunch

On the 30th June, 2013 we made our first Turkish Bread in our Thermomix and the recipe took three and a half hours from start to finish with most of that time being for proving.  It's the recipe we have been using for all these years.  Yesterday I saw a post on IG about another recipe which I thought I would give a go and I can say it's a 10 out of 10 for me.

You can make it with or without a Thermomix and the recipe took me 1.5 hours start to finish.  It's always good when at 10.00 am you decide you want to make something and 1.5 hrs rather than 3.5 hours.  This is the Turkish Pide Recipe and as mentioned has a standard recipe and the Thermomix instructions at the bottom of the recipe.




TURKISH BREAD [This is the Thermomix recipe

500 gms plain flour, sifted [I didn't do this]
7 gms dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
365 ml warm water
olive oil to grease the bowl
2 teaspoons Sesame seeds
1 teaspoon Nigella seeds [I will have to buy some of these for next time]
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt flakes
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon olive oil

METHOD

Add warm water to bowl, then yeast and sugar.  Set at 37 degrees and mix on speed 3 for 30 seconds to dissolve the yeast.  Wait 5-10 minutes to be sure the yeast is alive and kicking.

Add flour and then salt and slowly bring up to the speed of 4 to mix until just combined.

Knead for two and a half minutes.

Grease a large bowl with olive oil and place the dough into it and turn the ball over so all sides are coated with oil.  Cover with cling wrap. [note spray top of cling wrap so if dough rises it doesn't stick].

Place in warm spot for one hour [I placed mine on a chair in the backyard].

Once it has doubled in size, place the dough onto a floured surface and divide into 2 loaves.  Form two rectangles by stretching and pressing the dough and then place them onto baking paper.

Cover with a damp tea towel and leave for 15 minutes until they are puffy.

Preheat oven to 230 degrees and place a tray into the middle rack of the oven.

Use the end of a wooden spoon dipped in flour and poke holes in the bread or use your finger which is what I did.

Whisk the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of olive oil together and brush over the loaves.

Sprinkle with seeds and sea salt and bake in the oven for 10 minutes until it's golden brown.

This is a picture of how it looked before it went into the oven.


13 comments:

  1. That looks brilliant, Kathy, and I am definitely going to try this one here. I had to smile at your comment on where to prove yours - over here, outside it's 40F (that's 4C)! I think the boiler cupboard will be my best bet :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that's so funny...yes we had a nice sunny day.

      Delete
  2. PS Kathy, when you write 'plain' flour, is that the kind of flour you use for ordinary cakes, or is it bread flour? Over here we have 'plain flour' for biscuits/cakes, and 'strong plain flour' for bread. Do you know which is needed? Thank-you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Australia we have "plain flour" and "self raising flour". "Bakers flour" is strong flour which is what I normally use to make bread. The flour I used for the turkish bread is just plain flour [ie the one with no rising agent in it and not strong flour.] Our SR flour has a rising agent. I hope that makes sense - let me know if you have any more questions and I can try and answer them Alexa. So just the one you use for cakes which I believe is called "All purpose flour". Your self rising is called self raising in Australia. So your All Purpose flour. Kathy

      Delete
    2. Hi again Kathy, and thank-you so much for your helpful reply! Our bread-naming system in the UK seems to be the same as yours, and I was able to make the 'pide' with plain flour as per your recipe - everyone said it was absolutely delicious! Very many thanks again :).

      Delete
    3. Fantastic news.....glad your family enjoyed the Turkish bread.

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious! I've never heard of it before so I can't wait to give it a go. Thank you so much for sharing! Thankfully I had quite a lot of flour and yeast in the pantry since our stores have been out of them for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Turkish Bread....really.........it's something we have in our supermarkets here all the time. Sometimes we slice them on the side in half to make a toasted sandwich however yesterday as it was still hot from the oven we just stood there cut into pieces and ate it all......so yummy. I can't wait to try it with the addition of Nigella seeds which gives a certain flavour although not a priority for shopping at this point in our lives. Have a good week.

      Delete
  4. Thank you ever so much for this recipe, Kathy. Making better bread is on my list of things to achieve. We love Turkish bread and I have a Thermomix so this will be great to try. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So quick and easy....let me know how you go.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful job you have done with that bread!

    ReplyDelete