Friday, March 20, 2020

Around here

Goodness me...each day things get more dire and it's becoming more alarming.  Four weeks ago I was going to my nieces wedding in Perth, 3 weeks ago I was still going, 2 weeks ago yep...however in light of all the news this week I will be cancelling it.  I booked through Webjet so I'm hoping they come through with the credit so I can use it in a year's time.  I'm flying Qantas and they sent an email about the actual flight that you can get a credit however if you went through a third party you have to go through them.  I'm sure it will be fine, just hanging out for an email so I don't lose my $600.   I haven't been to Perth in 14 years to see my sister so I was really looking forward to it.  She does come over here every year or two to visit us however I was looking forward to going over there.  Anything can happen with the wedding in the next 4 weeks and at this stage it's still going ahead as they have a small wedding.  So the trip is off.  I feel sorry for all the brides who have been planning their big days and they are all postponed to who knows when.  To the people who are now out of work, financial stress is huge and it's going to be very stressful on peoples mental and physical health in the next 12 months.  This afternoon they have imposed another restriction on gatherings of people under 100 people so it's more thank likely the wedding will have to be postponed which is 4 weeks today.

Bill Gates did this 8 minute TED talk back in 2015 which is slightly unnerving now we are in the current situation.



On Monday morning I went to Bunnings to get some more seedlings to plant and to be honest, it's a bit like the supermarkets shelves, pretty empty as everyone has had the same idea.  They also said Office Works have been selling chairs, printers and computers like hotcakes as people start transitioning to working from home.

Everyone is now stocking up on veggie seedlings to plant out now to have some extra food and save going to the supermarket, every little bit helps.  It was good to be in the garden too, away from all this news.

Here's some photos from my week.

Some tomatoes planted - close together however I have no more space so I'll see how they go.

Some capsicums in this pot, again doing the best I can to see if they survive.

The cucumbers have been eaten however they are flowering so I'm hoping to get some eventually.

My Basil which I plant are the little "seed mats" which are great because you get a bunch growing.

I've got two coriander seed mats growing and although this is small at the moment last time I had 2 bunches of these I didn't buy coriander for 3 months as you can just go and pick some leaves for your dinner which was great.  I have missed having it.

Pretty flower.

From inside looking out.

Afternoon shadows in the house.

More shadows from a different direction in the afternoon....I quite like these.

Made my own Hand Sanitizer with Witch Hazel, Aloe Vera Gel & doterra Essential On Guard Oil.  I saw how this was made at the "Addictive Free Lifestyle Course" I did a few weeks ago.

 Beef Pho soup....OMG sooooo yummy and the flavours are amazing.


And this is the state of International Travel from Australia from DFAT as at the 18th March, 2020.  Every country in the world is a "no go zone".

Stay safe everyone and we will all get through this even if it takes 12 months.  There will be a lot more of those "Homesteading" skills being learnt by people.  A forced slow down of people all over the world and from what I can tell the Climate will be happier too with basically no pollution from air travel, cruise liners etc.  People will be able to connect more with their families, spending will become "the basic necessities" and there will be more of the "needs" rather than than "wants".  People if they haven't ever budgeted before will most certainly have to do that now.  It is challenging times for every single person in the world, young or old, in work or out of work.

I have seen some lovely IG posts on @alchemybread with people learning to bake their first loaf of bread and the kids are making bread.  If you go to her highlighted stories she has posts of kids making bread...so cute and a great skill for people to learn.



6 comments:

  1. I'm going out today to by some veggie seedling as I haven't had time to sow any yet, I hope there is a few left on the shelves. Your tomato plants should be fine as long as you make sure that the air can circulate around them and keep them well fed and watered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too bad about your nieces wedding and the lost opportunity to see your sister. The pandemic is definitely affecting so many in numerous ways. It's certainly a scary time - health, economy, financially and so on. We've been working through how to deal with the stress of it all and the stress of the unknown. Honestly, I hope that we'll never be the same and by that I mean I hope that we all take something away from this that helps us improve our lives - improve our relationships, improve our health, improve our priorities, etc. It would be a shame if we didn't. Your photos are beautiful as always and I adore seeing the garden photos as we are about 1 month before I can start planting. I can't wait!! There's no better therapy than getting your hands in the dirt. Hugs to you - hoping you and your family are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Staci, yes...I think it will be a way for everyone to slow down and see what's really important like family time. Gardening is great therapy so I look forward to seeing your little veggie patch next month.

      Delete
  3. Great that you've got fresh veg seedlings in the soil, Kathy. They'll provide you with some homegrown and fresh food in the months ahead. I have seedlings to plant out this weekend; I chose rainbow chard in amongst other things as I know it grows easily and abundantly here. I got lettuce too and snow peas. Sweet Basil is self seeding in my garden so I am thinking I will make pesto with it once I can pick enough from it. I tried a lovely recipe for pesto chicken the other night and it was delicious.

    I'm sorry that you are not able to go over to Perth now. Hopefully, there'll be a time in the future when you can visit again. MegXx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home grown basil is the best pesto you can make....I think I bought rainbow chard as well...first time ever...thought it would grow fast and be good for us. Have a good week, thanks for always popping in and commenting.

      Delete